The Wisconsin Parental Choice Program expanded statewide in 2013. It is regularly suggested by opponents that this program predominantly serves students who were already in a private school.
While the initial numbers were inflated due to previously enrolled students having more immediate access to information, it is important to note that those percentages have leveled off as more families statewide become familiar with the program.
It is also important to note that there are entry limits for a new student to participate in the program,
limiting the amount of previous enrollments.
Students applying to the WPCP or RPCP must meet one of the following requirements:
1. Applying to grades K4, K5, 1 or 9
2. Meets one of the following requirements for the prior school year:
- Attended a public school in Wisconsin
- Attended school in another state
- Not enrolled in school (includes homeschooled students)
- Participated in the MPCP, RPCP or WPCP
- Was on a MPCP, RPCP or WPCP waiting list
3. If applying to the WPCP, was on any prior year WPCP waiting list in 2015-16 or later due to a school district enrollment cap.